Tel. 00 34 981 936 321 | SILAN 2019 | PORTO | 24-27 SEP 2019

Documentation needed to travel

Find out about all the documentation you need to travel to and drive in Portugal.

Do you know if you need any kind of specific documentation to travel to Portugal? In the following section, we will explain everything you need to know about any ID cards, passports, visas and driving licences you may need during your visit to Porto.


Passports and visas

When you start planning your trip, the first thing you should do is make sure about certain basic things, such as the documentation you will need for your trip.


EU and EEA countries

Residents of the European Union, and also Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland—in short, the signatory countries of the Schengen Treaty, which guarantees free movement—only need ID cards or passports to travel to Portugal.

It is recommended that minors, if travelling alone, should also take a parental permission document in addition to their ID cards or passports.

In the event that they travel accompanied by third parties, it is advisable they have:

  • Express permission from their parents or whoever acts as legal guardian.
  • Their passports or ID cards.

The permission forms must be dated and signed, authorised by a notary and include the following information:

  • The dates and reasons for the trip.
  • The details of the adult who will be responsible for the minor during the trip.

If you have any doubts, we recommend you contact Foreigners and Borders Service of Portugal.


Countries outside the EU

A current passport, valid for a minimum period of three months after leaving Portugal and for stays not exceeding 90 days, is necessary for citizens coming from:

Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, South Korea, Costa Rica, Croatia, United States, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, the Holy See, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Uruguay, Venezuela, Special Administrative Regions of the People’s Republic of China in Hong Kong and Macao and Taiwan Territorial Authority.

Furthermore, the passport must have been issued in the last ten years.

Citizens from countries not mentioned in the above list, for stays with a maximum limit of 90 days, need a Schengen visa. This can be requested at Portuguese consulates or embassies in the country of origin or through the website for visa application.


Documentation needed to drive

Since 2013, all driving licenses issued by EU countries have the same format. The so-called single European driving licence authorises any citizen of the European Union and the EEA to drive through all these countries as long as the licence is valid.

For citizens from countries that do not belong to the European Union, you will need to consult whether your country has any kind of bilateral agreement with Portugal, otherwise you will have to take an international driving licence or a sworn translation of the licence. Find out more at the relevant agency.

In addition, you must keep in mind that some motorways in Portugal have electronic payment systems only, and there are no toll booths where you can pay in cash or with a card. These roads are identified with the reference “Electronic toll only” and are the following: A28, A24, A25 and A22.

There are up to five different electronic payment methods that we recommend you consult and manage through the official website on tolls in Portugal.

Documentation needed to travel

Find out about all the documentation you need to travel to and drive in Portugal.

Health insurance in Portugal

Find out about the European Health Insurance Card and the travel insurance you need to travel with peace of mind.

Useful information about Porto

Time Zone, Banks & Currency exchange, Pharmacies, Electricity and Voltage, Shopping in Porto, VAT